"Bottleneck" is a term applied to small populations. A bottleneck occurs
when the total population is reduced to very small numbers, then increases
and recovers. (On a graph, this drop from high to low to high population
size looks like half of a bottle with a narrow neck.) Because populations
are very small in a bottleneck, various factors such as disease, variation
in random factors such as the ratio of males to females, natural disasters,
or predators can make the population very subject to extinction.

----Bill Eddleman
         Cape Girardeau