Another great birding trip....  Kristi Mayo and I birded from the bootheel to the Greer Springs area April 29-30.  We observed a total of 158 species total, including 23 species of warblers and 15 species of shorebirds.  Here are the highlights:

Ten-Mile Pond CA-Mississippi County:
1-TRI-COLORED HERON (TRHE), bird was first noticed flying in with Little Blue Herons and Egrets at 7:30 PM, 4/30.  We watched the bird as it circled around pool C and eventually landed in Pool C.  The bird was last observed roosting in the willows in Pool C with Egrets and Little Blues, however a 1/2 hour later all of the birds, including the Tricolored, were gone.  However, I am sure they probably just moved elsewhere within the CA.

Greer Springs-Oregon County:
1-CONNECTICUT WARBLER (CONW).  This bird was skulking around and singing away in the cane stand right next to the canoe ramp parking lot.  Bird was about 8 feet away from us as we stood on the bridge of the footpath that leads to the campground.  We thought this to be very early....however Robbins and Easterla does mention there are a few April sightings.

Other Notables:

Hwy 60, just west of Dexter -Stoddard County:
1-Franklin's Gull
2-Caspian Tern
4-Herring Gull
3-Ring Billed Gull
All of these birds were sitting together in one group on April 29th in the middle of an ag field.

Ten-Mile Pond CA-Mississippi County:
2-Greater White Fronted Geese
1-Osprey, perched in cypress tree in the lake
1-Sora
2-Sedge Wren
~35 Swainson's Thrushes. They seemed to be everywhere--quite impressive.
Also watched a group of 10+ Rose Breasted Grosbeaks traveling together.
~40 Bobolinks, near 10-Mile Pond on CR502

Dexter Rice Fields-Stoddard County:
2-Willet

Mingo NWR-Stoddard County:
1-Black Vulture

Greer Springs Campground-Oregon County:
NO-Swainson's Warblers for us mornings of April 29th or April 30th
Many-Rose Breasted Grosbeaks.  Had 6 males in one binocular view!
4+ Hooded Warbler
1-Northern Waterthrush

Otter Slough CA-Stoddard County:
3-Common Loon
2-Snow Geese
1-Flyover Osprey
1-Peregrine Falcon chasing around shorebirds and teal
30+ Long Billed Dowitcher
5-Stilt Sandpiper
2-Bairds Sandpiper
~15-Black Necked Stilt
70+ Dunlin
6-Wilson's Phalarope
1-Solitary Vireo
1-Blackpoll Warbler
10-Bobolink

Duck Creek CA-Bollinger County:
5-Forsters Terns

Surprise Misses:  Mississippi Kite, Acadian Flycatcher and Common Nighthawk...and we only observed a total of two Eastern Wood Peewees.

Joshua Uffman
St. Louis County, MO

Photo Gallery:  http://www.surfbirds.com/albums/index.php?cat=10005

http://mail.yahoo.com