We have MANY Red-bellied Woodpeckers in our area, along with Downey and
Hairy Woodpeckers and ,so far, I've never seen any of those woodpeckers
at our Hummingbird feeders (we have 5). However, our woodpeckers are
spoiled!  Besides suet blocks all over the place, we have 4 nutfeeders
in our backyard that are filled with peanuts and peanut hearts! There
is a commune near us and they sell a lot of homemade peanut cookies and
peanut brittle. They discard the peanut hearts and in the large burlap
bags there are also many peanuts among the hearts. My husband sifts the
contents and separates the hearts from the peanuts. This does not cost
us anything...otherwise, we'd never be able to afford all those nuts
for the woodpeckers!

So, I guess if it's a choice between peanuts or nectar, they'd rather
eat the peanuts :)

Evelyn Ford
Southern Ozark County, MO

http://mail.yahoo.com