This is my first post/question, I hope it will be of interest.  It is
ultimately a silly thing, but something I have considered regardless.

I will probably appear on my first scientific publication some time in
the next year, and have attended one mini-conference of sorts and will
probably attend some "real" scientific conference in the next year or
two.  Thus I have given some thought to the appearance of my name in
publications and such.

I have been thinking of using my initials (T.R. Stratton), as used
perhaps most famously by Eliot (perhaps obviously one of my favorite
poets), but also by many other English authors (T.E. Lawrence, D.H.
Lawrence, J.K. Rowling, etc.).  My grandfather went by E.L. Stratton,
although I believe this had more to do with his dislike of his given
name than anything else (not the case with me).  I was wondering if
anyone knew the origins of this trend and reasons/purpose.  My guess
would be that it originally came about to save space and money on
printing, as some humorous converse of Dickens's receiving pay based on
the number of words he wrote, but wondered if anyone had a better/more
interesting explanation.

Yours,
Tom Stratton

--
Neglect not to practice / the powers of Good
Versäumt nicht zu üben / Die Kräfte des Guten

Thomas Stratton
The University of Chicago