We now live in the age of the search engine. A name
should be distinct enough so that one's publications
can be found on the web with a simple key word search.

With a name like Thomas Gray, someone searching for me
will find the famous poet, multiple admirals, a
physicist in Kansas ,a computer science professor in
Scotland, a potter, a wind energy expert in Ohio, a
judge and a DA in Texas, Cyndi Lauper's guitarist,
numerous business types and me.

A common name can breed anonymity so a middle initial
could be a very good idea.

Tom Gray