St. Louis Audubon Society is sponsoring a birding trip this weekend.

When:   Saturday, April 30 starting at 7:30 AM and going into the afternoon.

Where:  Shaw Nature Reserve and possibly Robertson State Park.

Cost:  $3.00 entry fee for non-members of Missouri Botanical Garden.  Free
for members.

Leaders:  Connie Alwood and John Solodar

What to bring:  Lunch and a pack in which to carry it.  Water bottle.  Field
guides and binoculars.  Light rain gear may be needed in early morning.

Amount of walking:   0.75 miles along Brush Creek Trail to Trail House.  1-2
miles in the area of the Trail House.  Another 1.0 - 1.5 miles from Trail
House to Prairie area and then back to starting point.

Restroom Facilities:   Trail House has restrooms and drinking water.

Overall Plan:  We will meet at the entrance gate and park many cars there.
We'll drive to the parking lot nearest the wildflower garden and bird there
awhile.  Then we'll take Brush Creek Trail to the Trail House, doing a lot
of birding along the way.   From the Trail House we'll go on some of the
trails in pursuit of many birds, including Prairie Warbler.  Sometime in
here we will have lunch.   After lunch we'll take the road down to the
Prairie Trail and search for Henslow's Sparrows, both Orioles, Chats, etc.
and then walk back to the starting point.   If we have not seen Henslow's
yet we can go on to Robertson State Park, about 5 miles away, and search for
them in a field where they have been seen in the past.

How to get there:  Take I-44 west from I-270 to Gray Summit (Hwy 100).  Take
a left and cross over I-44 on Hwy 100.   Take a right on Hwy 100 to the
entrance which is on the left.

John Solodar - Birding Trip Coordinator for St. Louis Audubon Society
8135 Cornell Ct
University City, MO 63130-3639

[log in to unmask]   314-862-5294