Many of you have seen the signs posted at REDA which announce the
"Riverlands Watch."   The staff at REDA does not have enough budget or
manpower to patrol the area much beyond the hours of 8AM - 5 PM.   The
birding community, with our high-powered optics, can help REDA cut down on
the amount of vandalism and other inappropriate activities that occur during
the hours outside the 8-5 window by observing any inappropriate activity,
noting descriptions of the miscreants, license plates, etc.   They do not
want us to undertake any police actions.   Merely observing and reporting
will be sufficient.

The implied threat of the signs announcing the Riverlands Watch is that if
no one comes forth to join this group then REDA might have to be closed
outside of the hours of 8 AM - 5 PM.   Fortunately, as I understand it, some
people have already signed up which mitigates this threat.   However, they
would really like to have more people sign up.   To join the group, call
636-899-2600 ext 241.

Charlene Malone posted recently that she reported some plant stealing at
Rockwoods and she told me that the staff was happy to have her report and
description of the people involved.   I reported an incident at Busch a
number of years ago and received a similar response and promise of an
investigation from the staff there.   It was very easy to do this once I saw
what was going on as I just trained my telescope on the parties involved and
got their license plate.  They never even knew that I was there.

I urge some of you to join the watch group at REDA.   The staff there has
been cooperative with the birding community and more good things are coming.
They will appreciate our help.

John Solodar - Birding Trip Coordinator for St. Louis Audubon Society
8135 Cornell Ct
University City, MO 63130-3639

[log in to unmask]   314-862-5294