This morning I flushed a Yellow Rail twice on the wet prairie at Squaw Creek
NWR while doing point counts.  The first time it flew, I followed it to
where I saw it land.  I flushed it again when I stepped within 14 inches of
it.  Shortly afterwards I flushed one of the American Bitterns on the
refuge.  Just after finishing the point counts, I had a flat tire and had to
walk several miles.  This was one of those days when I wished I had stayed
home, but then I would have missed all those wonderful birds.
There was an Osprey present  on the refuge this morning, 200 American White
Pelicans, 350 Lesser Yellowlegs, Greater Yellowlegs, Pectoral Sandpipers, 14
Long-billed Dowitchers, and the same Snowy Egret as last Friday.

Yesterday when driving home from the ASM meeting, we saw seven Scissortail
Flycatchers near Lamar in Barton county.  We went by Prairie State Park in
Barton county and saw several Henslow's Sparrows.

Tommie Rogers
Mound City, MO