The Mid Missouri Chapter of the Ruffed Grouse Society and the MO
Department of Conservation are co-hosting a Private Landowner and Forest
& Wildlife Workshop on Saturday April 16, 2005 (rain, snow or shine). It
is a chance to learn about timber management practices, meet forestry
and wildlife management professionals, meet timber buyers and loggers,
and pick up food plot seed (corn, milo, sunflowers-depending on
availability). The agenda includes

6:00 AM - Optional drumming grouse listening stop (donuts & coffee after
completion of tour))

9:00 AM - Tree ID, timber harvest, timber stand improvement, woody edge
enhancement for grouse, deer, turkey, songbirds, and small game tour
discussion.

11:00 AM - Tree shear demonstration

12:00 noon - Lunch provided by Ruffed Grouse Society (bratwurst and
home-made pies)

For more information, call Tom Westhoff at (573) 564-3715, ext. 110.
PLEASE RSVP BY APRIL 11TH.

Door prizes include a new Stihl chainsaw!

Location is the Bill and Margie Haag farm in southern Callaway County,
near Montgomery County. From the town of Bluffton you go 2.3 mile west
on Hwy 94 to a private drive next to Little Tavern Creek. (Follow the
signs from there.) From the town of Portland, from the intersection of
Hwy D and Hwy 94 take Hwy 94 east. Go 2.8 miles to a private drive next
to Little Tavern Creek. (Follow the signs from there.)

I can email you a copy of the flyer and the map to the Haag farm but
both were originally printed with a fuzzy printer on blue paper and
didn't scan too well. You might do better to call Tom and request that
he mail you a copy of the flyer at the same time you do your RSVP.

I went to this event several years ago and had a delightful time.
Gracious hosts, good food and I learned a lot about management practices
to encourage Ruffed Grouse survival. We thought we even heard the
far-off drumming of a Ruffed Grouse ... a species that is almost gone
from our MO landscape. I would encourage others of you to attend!

Susan Hazelwood

Columbia, Boone County, MO 65203