Thanks to MIKE BRADY for leading this morning's Webster Groves Nature Study
Society (WGNSS) field trip to Castlewood State Park.  I learned a couple of
new good birding spots.

For anyone contemplating joining a WGNSS or St. Louis Audubon Society field
trip, this is a great feature of these trips; namely, one is exposed to a
variety of the area's good birding sites with experienced leaders.  And it's
all free!

After the official end of the WGNSS trip I birded solo...

Castlewood S.P.
==========================
I followed a singing YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER for a long time.  Surely one of
the most beautiful warblers.  This was adjacent to the parking lot on Kiefer
Creek Road; the one immediately beyond where the road passes under the train
tracks.  The FISH CROW vocals on the Meramec River are a blast.

Buder Park
==========================
Soaring COOPER'S HAWK.

Rockwood Reservations, Turkey Ridge Trail pinetum
==========================
I listened to a musical trill for an eternity, looking hard for the bird and
wanting to be sure of it.  Finally found a CHIPPING SPARROW, singing his
heart out.  Also heard 2 LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH singing nearby.  Two PINE
SISKIN were there, active and vocal.  More power to them if they're nesting.
Another COOPER'S HAWK circled the area at low altitude for a fine study.
Also saw 1 HERMIT THRUSH on the trail.

Heman Park, University City
1 singing CHIPPING SPARROW.

Mike Thelen