Greetings:

I went to see the prairie chickens near Newton, Illinois, today then wound
my way home.

Prairie Ridge State Natural Area, Jasper County
================================
*  Greater Prairie-Chicken, 17 - Birds I counted from the PRSNA office
lookout.  Welcome to the birder tour from Columbus, Ohio, and thanks to the
PRSNA staff for hosting all of us.
*  Blue-winged Teal, 2
*  Northern Harrier, 3
*  Northern Bobwhite, 1
*  American Golden-Plover, 1
*  Loggerhead Shrike, 2
*  American Tree Sparrow, 2
*  Field Sparrow, 2 singing

Olney, Illinois
================================
*  Eastern Gray Squirrel, albino, 1

Grayville, Illinois, on the Wabash River
================================
*  Ring-billed Gull, 5 (2a + 3 1w - 1s) - Two of the immature birds each
picked up sticks from the water, flew up to about 30 feet, dropped the
sticks, and dived down to the water to retrieve them.  Done three times
while I was there.
*  Tree Swallow, 2
*  Northern Rough-winged Swallow, 3
*  Cliff Swallow, 1
*  Barn Swallow, 1

Rend Lake, Franklin County
================================
*  Bonaparte's Gull, 10

Baldwin Lake, Randolph County
================================
*  American White Pelican, ~ 200
*  Canada Goose X ? hybrid, 1 - I'm not sure what this fellow is called.
Fishing line was cutting into the pitiful creature's left leg, apparently
causing the deformed left foot.  The bird was limping pathetically.
*  Blue-winged Teal, 2
*  Wilson's Snipe, 5
*  Franklin's Gull, 1 adult breeding
*  Bonaparte's Gull, 68

Peabody - River King St F & W Area, St. Clair County
================================
*  Double-crested Cormorant, 8
*  Wilson's Snipe, 1
*  Brown Thrasher, 1 singing
*  Field Sparrow, 1
*  Savannah Sparrow, 2

Other memorable species included Pied-billed Grebe, Green-winged Teal,
American Wigeon, Turkey Vulture, Red-tailed Hawk, American Kestrel, American
Coot, Belted Kingfisher, Northern Flicker, Eastern Phoebe, Horned Lark,
Eastern Bluebird and Eastern Meadowlark.

Mike Thelen
St. Louis County, Missouri