Even though the wind was blowing quite a bit, I had a rather productive days
out birding this morning around the oxbows lakes area south of Saint Joseph
and Bluff Woods CA. There were Ruby-crowned Kinglets all over Bluff Woods, but I
did not see any Golden-crowned. I also was unable to locate Louisiana
Waterthrush or Winter Wren. I did find quite a few sparrows, White-crowned,
White-throated, Song, Vesper and Savannah. The Savannahs "had me going" for a while as
they appeared much more brightly plumaged than those I usually observe. (I
even thought they might be Clay-colored Sparrows before I examined them more
closely.)

Lake Contrary had some waterfowl which included Blue-winged and Green-winged
Teal, Gadwall, Lesser Scaup, American Wigeon, Northern Shoveler, 3 Snow Geese
and, of course, Mallard and Canada Goose. A little surprising was a pair of
Common Goldeneye which were still in the area. The gulls on the lake were
composed of Ring-billed, Herring and Franklin's. The only shorebirds I saw were
numerous Killdeer, Wilson's Snipe and two Pectoral Sandpipers.

In the flocks of Common Grackles and European Starlings were some Red-winged,
Brewer's and Rusty Blackbirds plus some Brown-headed Cowbirds.

Saw one Loggerhead Shrike and heard one Northern Mockingbird singing from a
"hidden" location.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, Buchanan County