I found a Peregrine Falcon at Four Rivers CA north of Nevada.  It was
stirring up ducks in the pools below the headquarters.  A guy there who
was monitoring birds said he'd seen it two or three days ago, but hadn't
had time for a positive ID.  I had it sitting on a tree branch for two
minutes at 30 yards, best look of my life.  This is the individual that
was the model for the IMBD poster, simply perfect.

The Prairie Chickens were booming on 130th street north of Central about
100 yards.  They were in the new wheat, close enough for good looks, but
frustratingly over a slight rise.  I'd see a couple of heads strut back
and forth, then one or two individuals would jump full view in the air,
but i couldn't see the dancing at ground level.  Estimate 12 to 15
birds, plus observers, based on the action when two Harriers had some
fun buzzing the crowd.

Last night I watched a Short-eared Owl for at least twenty minutes
hunting a roadside ditch.  I caught it land on a fencepost at deep dusk,
then approached slowly with just the fog lights on.  It got used to me.
Later it perched on the edge of the road, and every two minutes or so
would make a couple of passes over 40-50 feet of ditch.  Later in full
dark (my lights still on) it sat directly in the center of the road,
still making the occasional ditch runs.  I stayed until another cars
lights sent it off.

--
Please note new phone #
J Pat Valentik