John Rushin, Jack Hilsabeck and I birded several areas in Buchanan Co. today
(02/02/05).
Bluffwoods CA, Handicapped Trail, highlights:
Louisiana waterthrush - 2 calling, singing and fighting
Ruby-crowned kinglets - several, displaying the red crest (neat!)
Brown creeper
White-throated sparrow
Song sparrow
Eastern phoebe

Sugar Lake
Some dabblers, lone american white pelican, lesser scoup

Lake Contrary
Horned grebe - 2 in beautifull breeding plumage
Bounapart's gull - 4 (1 in alternate, 3 in basic plumage)
Greater yellowlegs
Dabblers, Lesser scoup, Ruddy ducks

I checked Nodaway Valley CA (east side - Andrew Co.) in the afternoon and
added several Wilson's snipes and Greater yellowlegs. Very little shorebird
habitat compared with last year:((

Also saw 2 females red-breasted meganser flirting with a male lesser scoup
on a large farm pond near Savannah.

Good company, good birding.
Later,

Peter Kondrashov