"Rickard A. Parker" wrote:

> Oh, about my subject line (we were talking of perversity, weren't we?):
>
>   CRIPPEN MURDER IS A LENS INTO EDWARDIAN ENGLAND

A story I once heard -- source forgotten.

One of Edward's former mistresses paid him a visit shortly after his
coronation, bringing her young daughter with her. The king took the
young girl on his lap, and the mother departed briefly. When she
returned, the girl was alone. "Where is the King?" The girl replied,
"Some one must have called him, because he leaped to his feet yelling,
'I'm coming! I'm coming!' and ran out of the room."

Carrol