Peter,
     This is one of those popular Eliot quotes that is
often misquoted (I found at least 4 versions) and
hardly ever footnoted. The best information I can find
is this:
Simpsonís Contemporary Quotations, compiled by James
B. Simpson.††1988.
NUMBER:	8524
AUTHOR:	T S Eliot
QUOTATION:	It is a medium of entertainment which
permits millions of people to listen to the same joke
at the same time, and yet remain lonesome.
ATTRIBUTION:	On television, NY Post 22 Sep 63
SUBJECTS:	Communications & the Arts: Radio &
Television: Observers & Critics
BIOGRAPHY:	Columbia Encyclopedia.
WORKS:	T S Eliot Collection.

Since I haven't seen the Post article, I'm not sure if
it's the original source or not, but it's a safe bet,
since you won't find anything else online. Every now
and then, someone else will be brave enough to list
the quote as coming in the year 1963, so I would
assume it's either something he said publicly (which
was taken down by reporters), or else it was published
originally in the Post. Either way, it's a start.

Cheers,
Will

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1469495,00.html