From: Ken Armstrong
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 2005-Apr-07 12:19 PM
Subject: Re: "Perverse"--definition

I don't get why a poem about or presenting or revealing or exposing the
perverse should itself be called perverse unless, by definition, it
presents a false picture of the perverse, i.e.  unless it perversely
presents the perverse. Ditto the poet. It doesn't make sense to me to
say that "Eliot--as poet--is perverse" because some of his poems deal
with the perverse (not, however and BTW, Sweeney Erect). I think Peter
is getting at the problem in saying what Eliot is doing when he notes
how the symbol for grace is turned into weapons in FQ. But I don't think
this is perverse.