In a different context, Leavis made a comment that the
best way to avoid criticism is not to write anything
at all !

My reply to Ms.Nancy was related to her comment that I
didn't have a better concern than to comment on what
she had written.  When one makes a public statement,
an understood and unwrit rule, I believe, is to defend
it when being questioned.