MoBirders,
Spent the weekend in Sikeston, and birded Ten Mile Pond and Otter Slough. I had hopes of phoebes and yellowlegs (early), but struck out on both.
Loggerhead shrikes are easy to find in this area and I had 5 sightings, most at TMP.
American Pipits overwinter at Otter Slough and I found 3 birds there on Sunday.

Lots of carolina wrens--easily over a dozen in the woods and along the boardwalk at the headquarters of Otter Slough.

A few Rusty blackbirds, 8/10 field sparrows (regular in winter), a fish crow at TMP.  About 60 species over the weekend in a couple of hours at each location.  Finally an uptick in species!

On the subject of golden eagle:  a week ago Torrey Berger and I chauffered the Audubon Walk to Peabody Coal in Illinois, where we saw an unidentified eagle at a moderate distance, and after looking the bird over and thinking about it, I am better than 80% convinced it was a flyby golden. Lighting and distance prevented nailing the ID. Others may disagree, I speak only for myself.  One that got away.  We did find 7/8 short-eared owls at Peabody and at the Chester Il grain elevator(on the river) we investigated the vulture roost Joe Eades found and had a large number of Black Vultures among the Turkeys (maybe 15/20 or more).

David Rogles
St. Charles County