Greetings MObirders,

For the past few days, especially yesterday (23 Feb 05) Turkey Vultures numbers have increased substantially around the Columbia area. I was at Grindstone Park yesterday walking the dog and noticed a very large kettle overhead. I estimated between 70-90 birds, of which ~20 were Black Vultures. According to Birds of Missouri, Black Vultures barely range into the southern edge of Missouri where they are rare and local (Robbins and Easterla 1992). Have more northerly sightings been reported in recent years? Being from Texas, I'm unfamiliar with the distribution of this species in Missouri.

Also, Woodcock have been present at Grindstone for about 2 weeks now.

Wes Bailey
(Columbia, MO)

Robbins, M.B., and D.A. Easterla. 1992. Birds of Missouri: their distribution and abundance. University of Missouri Press, Columbia. 399p.