Speaking of barn owls---
SCNWR placed a box in the north barn on the refuge at my insistance this
past week.  We don't know if the box will attract a bird or not.  If it
does, then wonderful.  Hopefully, we will put up some more boxes in other
locations there.
The way I have observed many barn owls in the past is by going near dusk to
a deserted silo or barn .  I never approach the silo or the barn (usually on
private property) but I stay on the public road and wait quietly until dark
to see if an owl flies out of the structure to hunt.  If it doesn't, then I
look for another possible location.  Dawn is a good time to see one hunting,
also.
If we attract an owl to SCNWR, a birder will have only one way to see the
owl.  That will be to wait at the gate on the highway until dusk or be there
at dawn.
Tommie Rogers
Mound City, MO