My thanks for all the responses. Arthur Symons waxed very poetic about
Huysmans
in THE SYMBOLIST MOVEMENT. Several things he said are reminiscent of Eliot
on Baudelaire. I couldn't recall Eliot having said anything on H. and I
began to wonder
why. E.'s statement about H's interesti in Christianity being a petty
affair don't square
with what Symons says at all. That also is interesting. The following
quote from Symons
is very relevant to studying the moderns:

"What is Symbolism if not an establishing the links which hold the
universe together,
the affirmation of an etermal, minute, intricate, almost invisible life
wich runs through
out the universe?"

cf Eliot's "I am moved by fancies that are curled
               Around these images, and cling:
               The notion of some infinitely gentle
               Infinitely suffering thing."

Cheers,