I wouldn't say I was discouraged from pursuing a career in science.   It
would be more accurate to state that I was not encouraged. I was fortunate  enough
to have parents who were able and willing to pay for my college  education,
and they would have paid for it whether I had majored in English or  Science.
What they refused to pay for was for an acting school in New  York, which was
my first choice at the time.  But, you are correct in that  my brother went to
Bentley as an accounting major. Despite the fact  that I had extremely high
SAT scores, in both Math and English, no one, not  my parents nor any guidance
counselor, spoke with me about any other option  other than attending a
Liberal Arts University as an English major.   As I said, my parents and the school
counselor didn't discourage  me from pursuing a science education(they all
discouraged me from pursuing  a career in acting), but I do feel that had I been
a male, there  would have been more of a dialogue, which I believe can be very
 extremely helpful to most 17 and 18 year old kids. I guess we disagree in
the  "interest" issue in that you believe that society is responsible for
creating  separate interests.  I say that some of it is just natural.  My main
point is that a woman can be a "girlie-girl" type of woman(very feminine) and
still be a brilliant scientist. The differences between the genders   have
nothing to do with intellect or competence. And yes, thank god, there  are many
interests which men and women share, and yes, most men want wives and  homes, too,
the difference being, in my opinion, that many men consider  this an
essential part of their plan whereas most women consider this an  essential part of
their dream.   As for my parents who  didn't want me to become a professional
actress and never even thought of me as  a scientist, I was cast in eight
amateur and semi-Professional  productions throughout the years.  They came to every
single one.  The  last one was about six years ago in Naples, and they flew
1800 plus  miles for opening night.

Regards,

Kate

In a message dated 2/25/2005 11:49:01 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,