I had a call today, Sat Jan 8, from the staff at REDA who were quite miffed,
to say the least, about the behavior of some birders who used the conference
room inside the administration building at REDA as a lunchroom today.

The staff are currently manning the building on Saturdays during the eagle
season as a courtesy to eagle watchers.  The staff encourage people to use
their conference room as a warm place to look for eagles and to use the
telescopes.   They do not mind it when some people, eagle watchers and
regular birders alike, use the conference room as a lunch room.   What they
cannot tolerate are people who use the place and then leave a mess of paper,
plastic and crumbs for the rangers to clean up.

A mess was left today and the staff observed that it was just after a
regular group of local birders had eaten lunch there.   Putting the two
facts together, the staff is fairly certain that this is who left the mess.
It was not very big, but it was certainly enough to cause dismay.  In
fairness, it is possible that some other people, eating before the regular
birders were there, left the mess and that the birders just left the mess
that was there.   However, this did not appear to be the case.

The message here is clear:   If we want to continue to use the conference
room for observing, snacking and/or lunch,we must clean up.   Even if there
is a mess in the room already, it would be to our benefit to clean up what's
there before we leave, so that the birding community is not blamed.   If
this type of incident occurs again then access to the room will be curtailed
or eliminated.

Folks, we have worked hard over many years to establish good relations with
the staff at REDA and cannot afford any setbacks.   Please use common sense
when you are there and go out of your way to insure that conditions are good
when you leave.  The old Boy Scout system of trying to leave a campsite in
better shape than you found it will work wonders for us.

John Solodar  -  St Louis Audubon Society liaison to REDA