MObirders & KSbirders:
Spent about 5 hours trekking through Leavenworth Bottoms (Leavenworth County, KS-directly across the MO River from Weston Bend State Park). I was able to identify 42 species of birds during my hike (I love this place in winter!).
Highlights:
Eastern Towhee-1
Winter Wren-1
Hermit Thrush-4
Yellow Rumped Warbler-1
Golden Crowned Kinglet-5
Ruby Crowned Kinglet-1
Brown Creeper-2
7 species of woodpecker (YBSS,RHWP,RBWP,HAWP,
                                     DOWP,NOFL,PIWP)
Purple Finch-3
House Finch-2(Interesting, because I found these birds
                      about 4 miles back into the "bottoms")
Carolina Wren-6(seemed like a lot to be wintering this far
                        north)
The expected winter residents were active and vocal throughout the old growth bottomland forest.

About 2pm, I observed these birds in and around the fields near Ft. Leavenworth airstrip:
Red Tailed Hawk-5
Rough Legged Hawk-1
Accipiter, sp-1
Northern Harrier-2
Short Eared Owl (!)-1
American Kestrel-1
Bald Eagle-3
Ring Necked Pheasant-1 (with an extremely limited lifespan,
                                      one would think)

I don't have the words to describe how beautiful the forest was today!
Doug Willis
Kansas City, MO