Some STL area birding of interest today

Forest Park  - 8 Wood Ducks on the water in front of the Muny Opera as
reported yesterday by Jackie Chain

Tower Grove Park - 5 + Fox Sparrows in the Bird Garden area mixed in with
White-throated Sparrows.

Into Illinois I-70 about 1 mile before the Hwy 111 turnoff to Horseshoe Lake
- 5 Wild Turkeys on the side of the Interstate.  The adjacent woods were
flooded which probably drove the birds onto the highway strip.

Horseshoe Lake - Almost empty of birds but full of water.   The causeway to
Walker Island was flooded and closed by a barrier.  The very few ducks were
to far away to ID.

Fisherman's launch on Horseshoe Lake - Barely enough room to pull in at the
bottom and turn around.   However, we did find Golden-crowned Kinglet, Brown
Creeper and Chickadee here.

Huge mixed flock of Red-wing Blackbirds, Starlings and Cowbirds on Hwy 111
near Red School Rd.   We pulled over trying to ID some Rusties or Brewer in
the mix, but safety concerns drove us out before we wound any.