CALL FOR PAPERS
Jazz, atonal music, noise
A Panel Discussion at the Eighth International Literature and Humanities
Conference,
INSCRIPTIONS '05: an arts and culture conference and festival at Eastern
Mediterranean University
in Famagusta, on the island of Cyprus May 12th - 13th, 2005

The Eighth annual Literature and Humanities Conference will be held at
Eastern Mediterranean University as part of Inscriptions '05, an Arts and
Culture festival taking place at the university and environs between
May 12th - 13th, 2005.  In conjunction with a wide selection of music,
performance and film events, discussion friendly papers are being solicited
for our symposium. Although we will be publishing selected presentations
from Inscriptions '05, we encourage participants to move away from the
standard prewritten, "finished paper" format, towards a more open-ended
presentation, which will provoke and contribute to a genuine exchange of
research and ideas during the panel sessions. Our aim is to create a forum
and publishing venue for inspiring work in progress, where the exchange of
ideas with fellow academics participating in the conference will contribute
to the final form of participants' work.

With this in mind, we invite papers and/or presentations that examine the
current status of critical thinking on jazz and on the notions of atonal
music and noise.

Possible topics might include but are not limited to:

-           noise as a cultural phenomenon
-           jazz as musical interstice
-           jazzing gender
-           beat jazz/bop poetics: Kerouac, Ginsberg and the future of bop
rhythms
-           transitions from mechanical to technological noise
-           conventional/improvisational jazz
-           the politics of fusion.
-           the noise of public and private spaces in the twenty-first
century
-           rap, scat, human beatbox
-           Bjork, Tori Amos: tonality, noise and the female solo singer
-           punk rock, hip-hop, speed metal, misfit noise
-           constructions of identity through music
-           language as noise
-           Latin vs. Germanic: The tonality of language
-           Marilyn Monroe/Marilyn Manson
-           blue sounds: The poetry of Langston Hughes
-           reassessing Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music
-           jazz in Harlem renaissance literature
-           noise and native American culture
-           the role of noise in definitions of high, low and popular
culture
-           the mobile phone ring-tone symphony
-           gendered noise
-           tonality and lyrical meaning
-           the Queen's jubilee and the spectre of Johnny Rotten
-           reassessment of the term "Beat"
-           the role of noise in cultural spectacle, including football
matches, tennis,
            cricket, the theatre and art exhibition
Papers are also welcomed on individual artists. Suggestions:

Nina Simone
Shirley Bassey
Billie Holiday
Ella Fitzgerald
Sarah Vaughan
Janis Joplin
Thelonius Monk
Wynton Marsalis
Bird
Miles Davis
Frank Sinatra
Louis Armstrong
Sex Pistols
Nirvana
Primal Scream
Metallica
Philip Glass
John Cage
Pierre Boulez
Alban Berg
Arnold Schoenberg
Anton von Webern
Edgard Varèse
George Crumb

Please send 250 word abstracts by 11th February, 2005 to
and please visit  http://www.emu.edu.tr/elh/inscriptions for more
information