"Und das ist auch gut so":
Call for Proposals for a Panel on LGBT/Queer Studies in Contemporary
German Culture
German Studies Association Conference, Milwaukee, WI 9/29-10/2/05

This proposed panel seeks to focus on the ways in which queer theory
and LGBT studies can be brought to bear on contemporary German
literature, film, and culture. Despite the fact that German-speaking
culture generated most of the ingredients of queer studies (sexology,
psychoanalysis, gay liberation politics) a century ago, queer
criticism has made relatively minor inroads into German Studies, and
has typically focused on literature from the Goethezeit and the early
20th century. How might we account for the relative paucity of queer
scholarship on recent cultural productions? We seek proposals for
both analyses of flagrantly queer texts and critically queer readings
of texts on the down-low, as it were. What are the potential meanings
and functions of queer sexualities in an era of migration, European
unification, globalization, and openly gay mayors? We also encourage
metacritical and metadisciplinary reflection on the question: how can
queer criticism contribute to the study of contemporary culture and
to the discipline of German Studies in the 21st century?

Please submit 1-page (~250 word) abstracts as MS Word attachments to
both panel organizers:
Christopher Clark ([log in to unmask]) and Gary Schmidt
([log in to unmask]) by Friday, January 28, 2005.