Had to go to Nevada yesterday so decided to take a side trip to S-O.  There
is limited open water and the roads into the major areas are closed because
of hunting season.

Snow geese in the 10's of thousands are on Schell Lake.  There were a few
Greater White-Fronted Geese mixed in among them and a few very small
Canada's--what my husband has always called Richardson's Geese--are these
the Cackling Geese?  They were barely larger than the Mallards that were
close by.  We saw about 25 on the edge of a flock of Snows.  Also saw
Gadwalls and a few Shovelers.  Because of the hunting restrictions, we
couldn't get to a really good place to see them.

Also, 15 Eagles--all but 2 were first or second year.  Some were fishing on
Atchison Lake close to the road so we got to see them dive and come up with
their catch!

In the slough where the Lewis's Woodpecker hung out, I saw what seemed to be
a Red Headeed Woodpecker that was definitely pink-headed and had a more
mottled appearance to its pattern--not the strongly differntiated pattern of
a Red Head.  It was Red Head sized.  All the immatures I have ever seen have
had a brown head and the usual pattern of the adults.  When it first swooped
in, I thought for a minute it could have been another Lewis's because of
it's flight pattern--and it lit on the same snag the Lewis's hung out on.
It was not a Hairy--too big; not a Red-Bellied--too small.  Any thoughts?

Also, on the drive over to Nevada, we saw half a dozen Turkey Vultures
around Camdenton.  Aren't they a little late?

Happy Birding!

Dorothy Lambert
Rolla--Phelps County