  From: Jeff Wright
  To: [log in to unmask] ; [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2004 2:14 PM
  Subject: Re: Eastern Red Cedar berries...

  A couple things.  First, they are not berries at all.  Instead they are a type of cone that occur yearly.  Second, the size of these brown cones you found is important.  If they are extremely small that means you are only locating male red cedar trees.  Only the females have the larger, blue seed cones.  If they are close to the same size as a female cedar cone there is a good possibility you are looking at a sawara cypress.  To tell the difference, look at the branch at see if there are awl-shaped leaves that occur on the stem itself.  If not, it is probably a sawara cypress.  Hope I could help.
  Jeff Wright
  Kirksville, MO