Mobirders:
I was wondering  if anyone out there has knowledge to share about the fruiting cycle of the Eastern Red Cedar (or related junipers, ornamental or otherwise).  I have been looking diligently for my first Townsend's Solitaire this winter, without success.

The Cedar trees that I have been checking throughout Northwest Missouri have very few of the ripe, blue berries
that I normally would be able to find in winter. The berries that I have seen on these Cedar trees are a brownish color and are not nearly as large as ripe Cedar berries. Is this due to the time of year ? (will these berries ripen over the course of the winter?)  Are these unripe berries due to the amount of precipitation? Yearly fluctuations in the berry crop?

Any information that could aid me in my quest would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Doug Willis
Kansas City, MO