A few minutes ago I arrived home from school, and saw a Northern
Mockingbird obviously trying to pick something up off the ground under the
feeders in the front yard. The object then flew up, with the mockingbird in
hot pursuit. The mockingbird forced it to the ground again in the
neighbor's driveway, but the object got up and flew away. It was none other
than one of the two Rufous Hummingbirds that are still coming to my feeder.
Needless to say, my wife threatened to turn the cats onto the mockingbird!
I hope the hummingbird learned to stay away from mockingbirds in the future!

It would be interesting to know if the mockingbird was just exhibiting some
of its legendary territoriality, or was trying to prey on the hummingbird.

----Bill Eddleman, Cape Girardeau