The group started at REDA which was relatively quite.  There are still two Black Scoters just above the dam in a mixed flock of Ruddy Ducks, Goldeneye and Scaup.  There are also a lot of Red-breasted and Hooded Mergansers in the area.  We only saw two swans, but a large flock was reported flying out to the surrounding area before we started.  At the confluence there was a flock of sparrows that included several Fox Sparrows.
 After lunch we went to Weldon Springs.  On the Blue Grosbeak trail we had at least two Harris Sparrows in the sparrow flock in the hedgerow at the top of the first hill.  At the Fallen Oak trail, Kent spotted some Red Crossbills in the pines nearest the start of the trail.  Several very red males were observed quite well.  When the flock suddenly flew off it was apparent that there at least 30-40 birds present.  There were also Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers and Red-breasted Nuthatches in the area.

David Becher
St. Louis