I must admit that I do pish in the bushes...
It is interesting to observe the wide variation of pishing techniques
utilized by different birders. I guess that my basic pish is 3 or 4
psssshhhh's, followed by a tsssst or two(like the callnote of a
White-Throated Sparrow). I have no idea why I throw the tsssst in with the
psssshhhh's...maybe I think that it makes me look like I know what I'm
doing....
Sometimes, a quiter psshht, psshht will work on a skulking bird...sometimes
it won't. I have seen pishing elicit a mobbing-type of behavior amongst a
mixed species flock (last week, I was mobbed by a flock of Golden Crowned
Kinglets, Creepers, Chickadees. Titmice, Wrens, and Woodpeckers while
pishing in a Pine-filled gully at Hawn State Park.).  Some folks play a
Screech Owl tape or imitate their call for the same purpose. It seems like
sometimes the birds are in the mood to respond to my pishing, sometimes they
hardly notice, sometimes it scares them away...
I have noticed that pishing seems to work on certain species, like Sparrows,
Kinglets, Yellow-Rumped Warblers, Common Yellowthroats(when they are in the
mood), Towhees(sometimes), etc.
Some species that pishing seems not to work on are Thrushes, treetop
Warblers, Orioles, Flycatchers, California Gulls...
Normally, I refrain from pishing much because I think that it disrupts the
birds' routines (not to mention the dorky impression it must make to a
nonbeliever). I am not sure if pishing is covered under the ABA guidelines
for ethical birding. However, I will admit that it is quite a rush when you
"pish up" your first Lincoln's Sparrow or Spotted Towhee...
Hope this helps to shed light on a truly enigmatic technique for observing
birds in the field.
Doug Willis
Kansas City, MO