CALL FOR GRADUATE STUDENT PAPERS:

Southwest Workshop for the Study of German History, Culture and Society
April 16, 2005
University of Texas at Austin

With support from the DAAD, the University of Texas at Austin will be hosting on April 16, 2005 a regional Workshop for the Study of German History, Culture, and Society.  The purpose of the workshop is to facilitate networking between scholars in the southwest region of the United States (provisionally defined as Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, and Louisiana).  The one-day workshop will feature three chronologically-defined sessions, in which participants can familiarize themselves with the kind of scholarship that is currently being done in the region.  It will conclude with a dinner session, at which the topic of discussion will be the possibility of the formation of a more permanent regional consortium.

We have arranged a list of keynote speakers for the event (listed below), and are currently soliciting graduate student presentations for each session.  There will be three panels: a medieval/early-modern panel; a panel for the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries; and a panel for the twentieth century.  For each panel, we seek two graduate student presenters.  Because the purpose of the workshop is to introduce participants to the broad range of work being done in the region, we do not want to delimit in advance the themes of the presentations.  Thus proposals from students in the region working in all areas and topics of German history, culture, and society are most welcome.

Provisional Workshop Schedule:

10:15-10:45:  Welcome and Introductions

10:45-12:30:  Early Modern Period

            Speakers:  David Mayes, Sam Houston State University; Elio Brancaforte, Tulane

            University

            * 2 Openings for Graduate Student Papers (15 minutes each)

12:30-1:30:  Lunch

1:30-3:15:  Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries

            Speakers:  John Pizer, Louisiana State University; Margaret Menninger, Texas State

            University

            * 2 Openings for Graduate Student Papers (15 minutes each)

3:15-3:30:  Break

3:30-5:45:  Twentieth Century

            Speakers:  Barbara Kosta, University of Arizona; Peter Carl Caldwell, Rice University;

            Elisabeth Ellis, Texas A & M University

            * 2-3 Openings for Graduate Student Papers (15 minutes each)

6:00-7:00:  Dinner

7:00-8:00:  Wrap-up Discussion:  Plans for future collaboration

To help defray travel and accommodation costs, we can provide conference stipends for presenters.  To apply to present a paper, please submit a one-page paper abstract, along with the attached registration form which includes a simple budget detailing expected travel and accommodation expenses.  The deadline for abstracts is January 15, 2005.  Please indicate the panel for which you are applying.

Attendance at the event is free and open to all interested participants in the region.  Because lunch and dinner will be provided for all attendees (both presenters and non-presenters), pre-registration will be required.  Please see the attached registration form.  The deadline for registration is March 1, 2005.

Please mail all abstracts and registration forms to:

Tracie Matysik
Department of History
University of Texas at Austin
1 University Station, B7000
Austin, TX 78712

For further inquiries, please contact Tracie Matysik at [log in to unmask]; Kit Belgum at [log in to unmask]; or David Crew at [log in to unmask]

REGISTRATION FORM FOR

NETWORKING WORKSHOP FOR GERMAN STUDIES

University of Texas at Austin

Saturday, April 16, 2005

Please indicate below whether you will be attending the one-day regional networking workshop on German history, culture, and society, scheduled for Saturday, April 16, 2005. We need to have an accurate count of people planning to attend so that we can arrange accommodations and meals.

Name:

Position:

Department:

Institution:

Address:

Phone numbers:

Fax number:

E-mail:

TRAVEL arrangements (arrival and departure times and dates as well as cost):

ACCOMMODATIONS:

MEALS:

___I plan to attend all day on Saturday, April 16 and would like to have lunch and dinner

___I will only be able to attend for the first half of the day on Saturday, April 16 and would like lunch

___I will only be able to attend for the second half of the day on Saturday, April 16 and would like dinner

Mail to:

Tracie Matysik

Department of History