In a message dated 11/7/2004 12:15:08 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
Sometimes it does -- or at least honest motives. At the end of my last
semester of teaching, a student in one of my classes stopped me on the
way out of the building to give me a present, which turned out to be a
bible and a biblical commentary. This was not the first time that I had
had a student who liked my class very much but was sad that I was going
to hell! She was the first one, however, that had gone to the extent of
spending money to try to save me.
I remember this certain English professor when I was in College.  The course was entitled "Jack Kerouac and the Beat Generation."  During the semester, this professor showed us a film of a symposium that had taken place a few years before at the college, arranged and moderated by him, on Jack Kerouac.  Allen Ginsberg was there, and Gregory Corso and others.  After that class, I went up to the Professor to compliment him.  I told that the symposium had been simply fascinating.  The next day, as I was leaving the college for the day and getting into my car, I heard someone call my name.  It was the English Professor.  He held a gorgeous bouquet of flowers and put them into my hands.  Because you are simply fascinating, he said.  I was taken aback a bit.  I said thank you, mentioned a lunch date I was late for and drove off.  This "older" man wasn't my idea of a potential boyfriend, lover or husband.  Maybe three or four years later, I happened to bump into him at a pub in Boston.  What a difference three or four years make.  He was hardly old.  In fact, he was quite attractive and interesting.  At the time of the flower incident, I was 20 and he was probably 33 to 35.  It was my perspective that changed, of course.  This has nothing to do with religion, only that I'm quite sure that this English professor didn't want to save me.

Regards,

Kate