In a message dated 11/4/2004 12:03:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
At 07:11 AM 11/4/2004 -0800, Vishvesh Obla  wrote:
I think Eliot didn’t want to give up his identity as a
Christian and a European, for it would be abandoning
his roots.  That he was in the verge of abandoning it,
but didn’t is worth studying, for, I believe, it
throws light on many of his Christian beliefs.
The opposite was said of Stevens, that he was on the verge of embracing Christianity.  This has been hotly disputed, by many but especially by his daughter, Holly.  Of course, the report of his embracing Christianity, whether true or not, was more of a deathbed thing, such as Constantine, rather than a result of deep thought or sudden conviction. But, I believe that one of the reasons why Holly was so upset at this report of her father's deathbed conversion was because it went against his poetic roots and reputation,