> 5) Philomel
> 6) Parsifal
> 7) Actaeon and Diana
> 8) Tiresias
> 9) Götterdämmerung
> 10) Voice of the Thunder
> 11) Philomel (Quando fiam uti chelidon)
> 12) Orpheus
>
> What I see as odd here is the level of indirection employed.  Eliot
> seems to allude to a work that brings up a myth about as much as to
> a myth itself. That is the case with 1, 2, 6, 7, 9, 11 and 12.  I
> bet something interesting could be made of that.

It seems to me the main reference is to the work (except perhaps Number
10). This would be particularly so of all the allusions to Ovid. Ovid
and Eliot were about the first poets in English since Pope to take Ovid
seriously.

Is the Hyacinth girl a literary or botanical allusion?

Of course, _all_ citings of Greek myth are necessarily literary
allusions rather than directly to the myths, because we only know the
myths that appeared in works widely enough admired for many copies to be
made. And for most English (also continental?) poets "myth" simply
equalled "Ovid" from Chaucer through Pope.

Pound once refers to Golding's Ovid as "the most beautiful book in
English."

Carrol