I had just heard from Lawrence Rainey that his edition of _The Waste Land_ had been chosen as the book of the month by the Reader's Subscription Book Club. Imagine, The wASte land chosen by a book club.
C. Laity

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 13:27:08 -0800
Subject: Re: Not true on Eliot:  Criticism

I have a lot of faith in the survival of Eliot criticism. It's source is
powerful, and as long as
academia needs to go back to deep wells, that crit will survive.

The more debatable question is the popularity of the literature.
I wonder what would happen if the hip-hoppers got ahold of Sweeney.

BTW, anyone watching _Joan of Arcadia_? The non-moralistic moral themes
of Eliot are
there, not that they were taken from Eliot. They just match. The
consequences of choices.
The presence of God in the ordinary.

P.

Nancy Gish wrote:

>1999 was 5 years ago, and that is a long time in critical work.  Eliot
>is a constant now at Modernist conference sessions; the Sept/Oct issue
>of "Modernism/Modernity" is about to come out and is a special issue on
>Eliot (or else the next one will be), and Cassandra Laity's and my book
>is now out from Cambridge:  _T. S. Eliot and Gender, Desire, and
>Sexuality_.  There has been a kind of major renewal of interest.  And
>before anyone misreads our title, it brings together senior Eliot
>scholars like Jewel Brooker and Charlie Altieri with younger ones like
>Peter Middleton and Tim Dean to rethink the Eliot legacy from a
>different perspective than either adulation or dismissal.  Ozick's view
>is not at all the widespread view that it had come to be at the end of
>the 90s.
>
>Our book is in bookstores in Britain but not yet in the US.  You can see
>the blurb at Amazon.com though.  And Cassandra's brilliant introduction
>is practically an introduction to new modernism as well as a total
>review of the last decades of Eliot criticism.
>Nancy

Cassandra Laity
Associate Professor
Co-Editor, _Modernism/Modernity_