I never suspected that you would be bullied by me or anyone; I'd be shocked and disappointed if you allowed that to happen.  Nor did I suspect that anyone could perceive that I was attempting to bully you in the exchange below.

Desipte some very notable exceptions, I confess that I tend to find other people's expressions of religious conviction tiresome.  Perhaps it is like watching someone else's vacation photos: if you haven't been there, a pale reflection of the experience that cannot really capture its essence, coupled with assurances of how much better it really is, is seldom entertaining.  And if you have been there, the photos only remind you how pale an imitation of the real thing they are.

But that is a reason for me to read through such posts very quickly, not to characterize them as "an offense".  (Your term which, as you correctly note, I mistakenly transposed in my head and in my post to "offensive".)

I will admit that the "was meant to be" language jumped out at me, and I can readily understand your objections.  And yet, they do not really make much sense when directed at a believing Christian, unless you are saying that he should structure his language to conform to someone else's beliefs.  But surely we do not expect believing Jews to tailor their language, when referring to the New Testament, to conform to Christian beliefs.  Why should Will be held to a different standard?

I suppose what it comes down to is, Will's usage was needlessly inflammatory and perhaps impolite, but perfectly defensible given the premises and beliefs that he has identified himself as holding.  Your objections are well taken on the level of etiquette, but appear to make sense beyond that only if you are laying down a rule that a speaker must abandon his beliefs in favor of those of his interlocutor where there is a likely conflict.

Tom K