Carrol,
    Either that, or that all of his life has been leading to that point. Picture also the thief on the cross: his salvation came minutes from his death.
    I look at immortality more like this -- what we do in this life prepares us for and resounds in eternity. It's not that this life is meaningless, rather it is preparatory/anticipatory.

Cheers,
Will

>>> [log in to unmask] 11/05/04 12:06PM >>>
The doctrine of immortality has always seemed both vicious and
depressing to me -- it makes a mockery of human activity in 'this
world.' This is particularly brought out by the superb passage in Dante
that explicitly proclaims the opposite: that in which a man with his
throat cut & drifting down the river murmurs "Mary" with his last breath
and is saved, all his preceding years having been nothing, meaningless.

Carrol