I'm sure you're aware that Christians sees an unbroken line from Adam & Eve to Israel to the "New Testament Church", right? So, according to Jewish people, it may be the "Hebrew Bible," but to Christians, the Old and New Testaments together are considered the Christian Bible. However, I don't know that I've ever heard anyone call it that. Usually it's just "the Bible."
I guess George knows that I would disagree with his characterization of God in the OT. Sure, there are some anthropomorphisms, but God's presentation in human terms is for the benefit of an uncreative audience, not for accuracy's sake. When Christ came, He told everyone that if they wanted to know what God was like, look at Him (Christ). That's in John 14. Christ was both fully human and fully God. In fact, many Christians have done work on Christ's appearances in the OT. He is often referred to as "the angel of the Lord." He was the one who appeared to Abraham and who wrestled with Jacob. And from John 1 you discover that Genesis 1 was actually speaking of Christ's creation, not of a different God's.

By the way, Marcia, I enjoyed your contribution to the most recent LITERARY IMAGINATION. Well done.

Best wishes,
Will

George Carless wrote:

> Christianity in particular doesn't really tend to say that, though--it
> presents
> us with a human Christ, and a God that is not really all that
> non-human, either.
> In fact the God of the OT is quite petty, angry, jealous and insecure...

Will Gray:

> The death penalty in origin (according to the Bible) is a Christian
> thing (Genesis 9:6).

Twice in the conversation of the past few hours, the Hebrew Bible has
been called Christian.  Puzzling.

Marcia