A good (lengthy) article on the evolution of the American Unitarian
movement from Congregationalism is at the Unitarian Universalist
Association website.
    The Unitarian Controversy and Its Puritan Roots
    http://www.uua.org/uuhs/duub/articles/unitariancontroversy.html

A much shorter article (but one that goes back even further in time)
is part of the Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia.
    http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/society/A0850051.html

A few excerpts from that:

    Unitarianism, in general, the form of Christianity that denies the
    doctrine of the Trinity, believing that God exists only in one person.

    Reason and conscience were considered the only guides to religious
    truth; complete religious toleration, innate human goodness, and
    universal salvation were preached. Unitarianism took hold in the
    liberal wing of the Congregational churches of New England.

    A congregational form of government prevails in the Unitarian
    churches, each congregation having control of its own affairs.
    Neither ministers nor members are required to make profession of any
    particular doctrine, and no creed has been adopted by the church.
    The covenant in general use is simply, "In the love of truth, and in the
    spirit of Jesus, we unite for worship of God and the service of man."

Regards,
    Rick Parker