In a message dated 11/15/2004 2:10:14 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:
Kate buys into this strange "hate Frechy" craze, which a sizable minority
seems to equate with loving the USA.  If you'd just consider the source when
reading her comments, you'd save yourself a lot of annoyance, and avoid throwing
pearls to swine.
Tom, I don't hate the French.  I don't agree with Chirac, but that would be
akin to saying that the French hate Americans because they disagree with Bush.
I still buy brie cheese, and I've never bought French wine, as I like white
wine and CA wine is just as good in the white  wine department.  But, I do know
people who don't buy French wine anymore. And, that's their choice and
opinion.  As for pearls, I have one strand of pearls, given to me on my wedding day
by my parents. That's not a metahpor.  It's simply tradition.

Kate, that's a metaphor: no need to remind me of the many ways in which you
are not swine-like.  Or, for that matter, that your husband is, was, or speaks
French, or whatever it was you last used to try to justify your support of a
fashionable bigotry.
It's true that I'm fashioable, but only in the literal matter of fashion.  My
husband doesn't just speak French.  He grew up there.  He didn't come to
America until he was 25 years old.  I'd say that was a little more than just
speaking French.

Tom K
Regards,

Kate