I looked up the history of the phrase, "western civilization," a few
years ago but don't remember the results too clearly. But I'll risk a
generalization without being able to cite now the linguistic details
that are part of its grounds.

"Western Civilization" was a 19th century invention primarily for the
purpose of justifying or rationalizing the rape of the whole damn earth
by a few big 'western' powers (led first by england and france, later up
to the present by the u.s.). The hymn of western civilization is
Kipling's "White Man's Burden," written to justify the mass slaughter of
Philippinos by the  invading barbarians from the u.s.

Carrol