Marcia Karp wrote:

> I am grateful that you aren't a hypocrite, but must say that I am amazed
> by your sureness.  It seems to allow you not to see, allows you to
> excuse, your disregard of what others know, while smiling politely.

Boyd Berry in _Process of Speech_ (Johns Hopkins UP, 1976) has an
interesting argument that touches on this (or, rather, he describes a
realization in 17th c. thought). The assumption that a text (e.g., the
xtian bible) is inspired, when combined with recognition of multiple
conflicting interpretations of that text, implies that it can only be
truly read by an inspired reader. And then of course many 17th century
xtian thinkers carried _that_ a further step: if one has to be inspired
by God to read the text correctly, why can't one be inspired directly.
And so the kind of sureness William shows carries within it (viewed
historically) its own dissolution.

Carrol