Nancy Gish wrote:

> but using it to
> evangelize is, I deeply believe, inappropriate.  It is becoming an
> offense.
> Nancy

I don't know whether it is an offense or not, but it is certainly
becoming a good reason not to open William's posts (or at least read
beyond the first line or two).

A sampling of them, however, offers a glimpse into the ways in which
beliefs can be compulsive.

I think one of the reasons I have never been able to take much 17th c.
religious verse in more than small quantities is that this compulsion
often characterizes it. (Herbert, Donne's specifically religious verse,
Crahaw, Vaughn.) I rather prefer Jonson, Milton, Rochester from that
century. I have, for example, found admirable Milton's inability to
finish "The Passion."

Carrol

P.S. John Crowe Ransom has an amusing anecdote in reference to his days
at Cambridge (or Oxford -- I don't rembmer which). At a debate or
something like that a member of the Conservative Club announced that he
was a Conservative and therefore [read _had to_] believed in X, Y, or Z.
Ransom said he was happy at not being compelled to believe X or Y.