In a message dated 11/5/2004 7:58:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
Anybody ever noticed how U.S. citizenship bears a certain
religious dimension to it? The Declaration is a creed.
The cornstitution is a bible. The oath of allegiance is
a doxology. And the supereme court pontificates in black robes.

I think the papal bulls are now in Texas.
Nothing to do with God or Texas.   If your parents are U.S. citizens, you are
a U.S. citizen.  If you are born in the U.S., even if your parents aren't
U.S. citizens, you are one.  There's nothing religious about it.  And, others
with no connection,by application, or sneaking in, may also become citizens after
a few years. It's actually pretty fair.  As for the Declaration of
Independence, considering the era it was written it, I consider it amazingly
non-religious.