"Rickard A. Parker" wrote:

> P.S.  Faith that God is on your side in a war might be a good thing if
> you are a private but maybe not so great if you are a general.

From Christopher Hill, _Milton and the English Revolution_:

Mortalism was enthusiastically proclaimed by the Muggletonians, combined
with anti-Trinitarianism and materialism. John Reeve's book on the
mortality oif the soul was called _Joyful News_ (1658). For Muggleton
this doctrine "yielded me much peace of mind," since he had previously
dreaded the though of eternal damnation. Belief in the mortality of the
soul was one of the six principles "upon which dependeth the eternal
happiness of men." (pp. 319-320, quotations from Reeve & Muggleton)

-----

The dead don't know they're dead. It is a pity that there has not been a
really good verse translation in English of Lucretius. He had the last
word to say on death (a tragedy for the living, not the dead).

The doctrine of immortality has always seemed both vicious and
depressing to me -- it makes a mockery of human activity in 'this
world.' This is particularly brought out by the superb passage in Dante
that explicitly proclaims the opposite: that in which a man with his
throat cut & drifting down the river murmurs "Mary" with his last breath
and is saved, all his preceding years having been nothing, meaningless.

Carrol