George Carless then wrote:

> And, by the same logic, one who attempts to do good by man and beast and
> who does perform "good acts", but who does not believe in Christ, has
> only eternal damnation/death to look forward to.  What a fabulous
> doctrine.

Not by the logic I learned.  You are working from a different premise.
My example was very specific.  You've broadened things out.

Besides, since I was working from recorded words of Jesus, I think I
should add that I don't recall that it was recorded that he consigned
any souls to Hell for any reason or even ever said anything about
Hell.  I won't mind being set straight on this if I'm mistaken.
Apparently it was left for Dante to sort out a soul's destination. ;-)

> The "value of faith" is an odd one to me, honestly.  What *is* the value
> of faith?  Why is it a good thing to believe in something for which
> evidence does not exist?

I thought that I had posted an example of that.  There are almost an
infinite number of times when faith can be bad.  Knowing when faith is
good or bad is, like so many other things, part of wisdom.

Regards,
    Rick Parker

P.S.  Faith that God is on your side in a war might be a good thing if
you are a private but maybe not so great if you are a general.